Organize a surprise date night for your sweetie, plan a whole day of quality time with the family, or spend some solo time reconnecting with your inner self with the help of some of these local small businesses.
It’s day a-million-and-three of the COVID-19 pandemic and if you haven’t locked yourself in the bathroom away from your cohabitants at least once so far, congratulations! You’re doing alright.
Still, close quarters can be difficult and the added anxiety and stress of the public health emergency makes it very easy to notice that your partner or roomie blinks way too loud.
Get out of your daily routine and plan an evening or weekend of fun activities for you and your family or housemates to do.
Start with a morning of self-care (together)
Kick-off the day with something for your well-being. Do some yoga or take an online fitness class, go for a socially distant walk outside to take in the spring blossoms while they’re still here, or spend a quiet moment alone with a meditation session. While staying (virtually) connected with your social circles is extra important as we all continue to self-isolate, staying connected to yourself is just as important too. Carve a little bit of time for stretching or exercise and practice some self-care before the fun fully begins.
- Ashtanga Yoga offers live streamed or recorded yoga classes to access online.
- MokSana Yoga is also hosting their drop-in classes online via Zoom.
- You can also book a yoga class through Quantum Yoga Club’s virtual classes (look for ONLINE in the class name).
- Oxygen Yoga & Fitness is also providing on-demand and live fitness classes via video.
- Annex Fitness is getting online too with their Annex: At Home program after opening their location in downtown Victoria just a few months ago.
- GoodLife Fitness is also offering a GoodLifeAtHome program to help you get your sweat on.
- Innovative Fitness has virtual training packages and an at home program available too.
There are many apps and online resources to make use of as you start or continue your meditation practice. For a more local experience that connects you to members of the community, you can also try a drop-in class (like the ones held every Wednesday evening or on Thursday morning). A daily habit of mindful breathing can be really beneficial for overall well-being so don’t knock it ’til you try it.
Continue into an afternoon of quality time
After lunch, plan a few hours of creative activities for the mind. Break out the colouring books or arts and crafts for the kids (or adults). Throw on your favourite record or CD for a true throwback, and the perfect opportunity to explain to the kiddos what the heck a record player even is. Or dust off the ol’ home library and spend a bit of time connecting with characters of the fictional variety. And if what you’ve got at home already just won’t do, Victoria’s small businesses still have you covered as they’ve adapted services to combat COVID-19.
Music and books:
- Ditch Records & CDs is offering a pre-paid service for pick-up at the door. Call or message the team via the Ditch Facebook page to place an order for some quality tunes.
- Bastion Books is providing a way to virtually browse and order remotely, while also offering delivery, shipping, and curbside pick-up.
- Munro’s Books is open for pick-up and is also offering delivery services.
- Russell Books also has set up a contact-free pick-up window for your book orders.
Enjoy an evening of competition or cooperation
With an afternoon of engaging the synapses, set yourself up for an easy dinner (and maybe a drink) with some take-out or delivery. Many restaurants have adjusted their services to ensure that you can still get your favourite dish or try something new while staying safe.
Restaurants to order from:
- Tasting Victoria and Islandist have both compiled helpful lists of places that are open and offering pick-up or delivery services. If you don’t see your favourite spot on these lists, reach out to the restaurant on social media or give them a call to see if they’re still open. (You’re also now able to order an alcoholic beverage with your meal so don’t forget to browse the beer or wine list before placing your order.)
- A number of Victoria’s craft breweries are offering pick-up or delivery options as well (as are some private liquor stores). The BC Ale Trail has a handy brewery index with a filter feature that lets you narrow down the list for delivery or take-out in Victoria.
View this post on Instagram
Lower Johnson St. Affectionately known to Victorians as “LoJo” is typically a bustling boutique retail district showcasing some of Victoria’s finest independent businesses. From world class fine-dining to unmistakably delicious coffee, gelato and waffles mixed in with trendy jewellers and clothiers, LoJo exemplifies what makes our city a great place to live and visit. It also happens to be the home of our little brewery. Seeing it empty these days is a strange and emotional sight. Though we are lucky enough to continue to operate through this uncertain time, many of our neighbours do not share this good fortune. We want to take a moment to say thank you, all of you, for making our city vibrant and setting a high bar to do business in this neighbourhood, it inspires us to be the best we can each day. We are proud to be part of the hardworking and creative LoJo community, so we made this beer in honour of our collective hustle. We are thinking of you all, and we will spend our money at your businesses when we can. Until then, this one’s for you LoJo. Available as singles, and 4 packs for pick-up and delivery. Link to shop in bio. #buybc #timetobuybc #lager #lojolager #freshlocalbeer #takeouttaproom #beertogo #beerdelivery #crowler #beereverything #bcbeer #bccraftbeer #craftbeer #beer #supportlocal #shoplocal #victoriabc @heyhappycoffee @famosomarketsquare @goodnewsskateshop @shopstilllife @shoplittlegold @assemblyoftext @wannawafelvictoria @littleshopofstrange @oscarandlibbys @fluevog @bagginsshoes @limitlessvictoria @marketsquarevic @ilterrazzovictoria @carnetattoo @thedancinglily @freespiritbotanicals @citizenclothing @ohsugarofficial @shop_openhouse @sunriseesthetics_ @rookandrose @anianmfg @flavourupstairs @reunionboutique @nezzanaturals @oxford_victoria @mec @lululemon
Now that the tummies are full of deliciousness, it’s time for the real fun to begin. Spend the rest of the evening off-screen with board games. If your supply or variety at home is lacking, get something new to dive into from one of downtown’s small businesses.
Board Game supply:
- Interactivity Board Game Cafe is still offering retail sales and free local delivery on a purchase of $40 or more.
- Triple Play Sports and Games is also providing express delivery, pick-up, and shop-by-appointment options.
- Oscar & Libby’s Fort St. location is also offering pick-up and free local delivery on orders of $25 or more for more games and puzzle options.
Make someone’s day (or your own!) with a bit of extra joy this spring. Some of downtown’s florists are still open too!
Florists for flowers:
- Brown’s The Florist does same-day delivery on orders received before noon.
- Flowers on Top is taking phone and online orders for delivery too.
- Poppies Floral Art is still delivering as well.
- Flowers and plants from Rook & Rose can also be purchased for delivery or curbside pick-up.
Have some fun organizing a surprise date night for your sweetie, plan a whole day of quality time with the family, or spend some solo time reconnecting with your inner self to stay sane during this strange experience. And if you’ve already had your fill of quality time with the household, visit our events calendar to see what virtual distractions you can get up to. (Helpful hint: filter the results to show ONLINE events only.)