Title: Culture & Events Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary Commensurate with experience
Hours of work: Based on a standard full-time work week, but may require overtime and/or holiday work
Posting closes: April 26, 2019
The Culture & Events Manager within the DVBA is the key connector between businesses and the arts, culture and events community. The role plays an active part in the support and development of a creative network and vibrant cultural scene within the downtown core.
“Victoria radiates creativity. It is home to an incredible mix of artists, designers, performers, entrepreneurs and innovators who contribute to a vibrant arts and culture scene.
Culture and creativity are essential aspects for vibrant and sustainable cities. The role of culture in creating healthy, dynamic communities is widely acknowledged and cultural activities such as festivals and public art are vital tools to engage a community and articulate their values.”
Create Victoria – City of Victoria Arts & Culture Masterplan 2018
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Manage and report on annual department budget including the development of the recommended yearly budget done in collaboration with the Culture and Events Committee.
- Develop, manage, and coordinate DVBA programming and activations: Christmas, Halloween, Buskers Festival/Program, and other seasonal activations to highlight the downtown and businesses.
- Close collaboration with, and support to, the DVBA Marketing department.
- Manage and develop DVBA event and mural grant programs, including possible introduction of new grant streams to further support and enhance the Arts, Culture & Event Community; includes administration and adjudication processes.
- Manage contracts and involvement for DVBA annual events (Car Free Day & Capital City Comic Con) including partner and stakeholder relations, sponsorship stewardship, and DVBA onsite activations.
- Create and design member engagement activities.
- Create and manage system(s) to connect artists and businesses together.
- Participate in and provide timely reports to the Culture and Events Committee (monthly meetings).
- Act as DVBA Liaison with relevant partners and organisations relating to arts, culture, and events within the downtown core. This will include the development and maintenance of good working relations with local organizations and City of Victoria staff to promote awareness of cultural activities and opportunities for community engagement, partnership and participation.
- Be the authority on Arts, Culture and Events happening within Downtown Victoria. Provide insights, recommendations, and consultative services to stakeholders, organisations, and individuals looking to contribute to the vibrant cultural landscape in the Downtown Victoria.
- Hiring and supervision of seasonal and contracted staff.
- Other duties as required.
- Event Management
- Project Management
- Volunteer management
- Knowledge of the events, arts and culture community in Victoria an asset
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume by April 26, 2019. Applications can be submitted by email to email@example.com. No walk-ins or phone calls, please.